Lora Class C Transmission Rate

Hello, i searched and looked it up if it is possible but couldn’t find anything specific. I bought LSN50V2 end node and I will use it in class C mode. I need it to send data every 500ms. Does lora C class provide that much speed? I mean it says continuous, so it means I can send at that rate right?

No…it’s continuous listening (receiving capable but not constant/streaming) vs talking. Normally a Class A device (mode all nodes must support as mandatory per LoRaWAN specification) will Tx it’s short message then either stay awake and listen for a command or reply in the rx1 or rx2 time slot - typically 5 sec later. The device may or may not go into a low power sleep mode between Tx and Rx windows, but will likely sleep for the long period…many minutes, hours, days, weeks… from rx2 until next Tx slot, hence LoRaWAN designed for low power. With Class C the device doesn’t sleep and hence is able to listen for messages targeting it at any point other than when it is using its (still infrequent):Tx period. But course it is then continuously burning power whilst listening, hence C devices typically mains powered. Sound like there are LoRaWAN fundamentals you still do not know so suggest some time reading background and documentation before you trip yourself up or inadvertently do something disruptive to others… :wink:

Actual TX repetition is limited by e.g. duty cycle limits, and in case of TTN the FUP.

1 Like

If i were to reprogram the device and change the duty cycle values, wouldn’t that be possible?

No that would not - DC’s are set by law! Please read up on LoRaWAN…perhaps check out the You Tube videos on TTN Channel - esp Johan LoRaWAN fundamentals…

I have checked or watched every single source about Lora. I won’t use chirpstack or ttn as a gateway. We have a custom created gateway and we tested sending at 868 MHz using Lora class A end node. Now, we just want to send it more frequent. Doesn’t the end node trigger transmission from the end node? And there will be only one end node, so the line will be empty as long as our end node is not transmitting. what is there to stop me from not waiting the duty cycle period till i send another packet???

Then its an off topic discussion for this TTN forum.

The scenerio is as seen below. I want to read temperature data using LSN50 V2 and send the data to another lora end node every 500ms (at least). I’ll be using Class C end node both side. Energy consumption is not an issue. What is there to prevent it to get to that speed?

Hi, That is still not TTN LoRaWan,.

I dont want it to be TTN? I am asking about Lora’s capability.

This is a TTN forum. I am just an amateur, and the moderators are volunteers.

Then an off topic discussion in this forum which is for TTN …

That would be illegal as in breaking the law. The maximum airtime allowed in the 868MHz band is 1%. So not possible. Also you are using a shared medium with long range technology so that would be very anti-social as other users up to 100km could be impacted by your continues use of the frequency.
For this update rate you should use a different technology!!

A good starting point, to work out what is possible\legal, is to download the Semtech LoRa calculators.

A very good understanding of reception conditions, location, environment, antenna types and location, legal power restrictions and propagation is needed, before assuming you will get ‘10km’.

It won’t be used in a public place and there is nothing illegal about my circumstances which I cant tell. So nothing to worry about. I was asking if it was possible. It is possible, since I won’t be a part of TTN or Chirpstack and I’ll be using a custom cloud technology.

Apart from all the other perfectly accurate comments about you breaking the law, breaking the Fair Use Policy and trying to discuss an application that is off topic for this forum there is one other challenge you face.

The LSN50 is programmed as a LoRaWAN device - so you will have to develop the firmware for it to do the illegal transmissions your are looking for.

By illegal, we are referring to the police, courts, fines possibly even jail - as almost all countries have laws saying how much airtime you can use - not some academic “it’s private, not a public place” - radio waves travel far and wide - that’s why they are so useful.

Plenty to worry about.

Cannot think of anywhere in the World where the duty cycle restrictions (normally 1%) only apply in ‘public’ spaces.

So where in the World are you ?

The OP is in Turkey, but I think we’ve adequately replied to this topic for now - I’m going to put this on slow mode so if they or anyone else has something sensible to add it has one last chance.

This means, @sudeozan, you won’t be able to reply quite so quickly - hopefully you’ll consider the answers you’ve been given as it seems a bit pointless asking questions.

Radio signals don’t care about public or private places. Unless you use heavy duty RF shielding and place both the transmitter and receiver withing the shielding (which won’t work with 10km range) your use will be illegal.

Okay i got it, it is about breaking the Fair Use Policy. I will tell my department about this. Thank you.

Yes, that, but more importantly, you would be yasaları çiğnemek.