Move your TTIG to V3: YES!

I guess the only obvious one is double double double check the code on the label and what you post into the console to claim! Personally, I found writing far too small and I know others who find it too easy to mix up certain characters (e.g. B & 8 or 6 & b etc. depending on print quality and font), so my solution was use my smartphone to take a picture of lable and then expand to be sure…as above that then menat I had a record t enable remote claiming! (Result!).

With v3.14.1, we have now introduced the option to claim a gateway that’s already claimed or registered without needing to delete it. :tada:
Here are the instructions:
https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/gateways/thethingsindoorgateway/

cc: @descartes

5 Likes

Is an option for claiming a previously deleted gateway (as mentioned earlier) still in the planning?

I guess you can restore the gateway and then claim it …

Indeed we will have to release previously deleted IDs so that they can be reused. I’ll check internally and get back here.

Hi,

thank you for the instructions. I have two TTIG gateways that worked with V2 and I am trying to migrate to V3. I deleted al gateways and applications in v2.

One of the gateways (lets call it #1) worked right away (although it was displayed as disconnected it was receiving packets) . The other (#2) got stuck with fast blinking green led (establishing connection to LNS/Configuring radio)

I have successfully claimed #1 and that solved the problem. It is now connected in the ttn community edition dashboard and it is receiving packets.

I can not succeed in claiming #2. If I delete the gateway as you suggest I get:
gateway EUI AABBCCFFFEDDEE is not registered (error code 5)

"code": 5,
  "message": "error:pkg/deviceclaimingserver/gateways:gateway_eui_not_registered (gateway EUI `AABBCCFFFEDDEE` is not registered)",
  "details": [
    {
      "@type": "type.googleapis.com/ttn.lorawan.v3.ErrorDetails",
      "namespace": "pkg/deviceclaimingserver/gateways",
      "name": "gateway_eui_not_registered",
      "message_format": "gateway EUI `{eui}` is not registered",
      "attributes": {
        "eui": " AABBCCFFFEDDEE "
      },
      "correlation_id": "9537be6d84f94f5e8a5252088b481107",
      "code": 5
    }
  ]
}

if I register wit +Add gateway and then try to claim it I get
gateway with EUI AABBCCFFFEDDEE already exists and is not authorized for claiming

I tried to authorize claiming with ttn-lw-cli.exe but that stuff is a bit over my head at the moment.
I get: error:cmd/ttn-lw-cli/commands:unauthenticated (not authenticated with either API key or OAuth access token)

Can you please point me in the right direction. the real eui is CC50E3FFFED88ED0

In all that jumble it’s not clear if you are just claiming because it looks a bit like you are registering then claiming.

Success report:
Did claim my TTIG yesterday. Worked fine over console, no issues. After power-down it blinked weirdly for two minutes, then it was active in V3.

1 Like

That’s not a valid TTIG EUI. All TTIG EUIs start with 58A0CB

EDIT: I guess that was obfuscation on your part. Did you claim the second gateway? You don’t need to delete it to claim it again.

Hi.

I have two TTIG and both are placed in outdoor housing and used as outdoor gateway. I have thrown away the housing and the box with WiFi password. One of the gateways is also very difficult to access (I need whole day to get there). Is there any other option to claim the TTIG in the V3 console? Shouldn’t be the active connected gateway in V2 console with my ownership enough to “claim” ?

Please search the forum for numerous discussions on this matter.

Short answer, no, you need to get the wifi password & EUI, other forum posts for details.

Sadly no not yet.

You would think but not yet the case!

Have several remote units myself waiting to move. Do any of the tips I gave in post above 29 days ago help you? I was able to get site host for a gw over in Hamburg to access unit and take a photo for me and send through…was able to successfully migrate that one Monday night/Tues this week…just waited for 24 hrs after claiming in V3 for it to pick up the latest config vs having to powercycle so minumum impact to functionality :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I have TTIG which was working well in V2 but now I am now lost with migration.

My Gateway EUI is 58a0cbfffe800514.

I was trying to claim the gateway via the web console, but got this error:

"message": "error:pkg/deviceclaimingserver:gateway_not_authorized (gateway with EUI 58A0CBFFFE800514 already exists and is not authorized for claiming)"

OK, I need to authorize it first. So I have installed CLI and tried:

ttn-lw-cli -c ttn-lw-cli.yml gateways claim authorize 58a0cbfffe800514

The result:

INFO	No API Key provided. Creating one
WARN	Finished unary call	{"duration": 0.1463, "error": "rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway `58a0cbfffe800514@ttn`)", "error_correlation_id": "da4477bb6ce44d4e91de60a4ac11eab2", "error_name": "no_gateway_rights", "error_namespace": "pkg/auth/rights", "grpc.method": "CreateAPIKey", "grpc.service": "ttn.lorawan.v3.GatewayAccess", "grpc_code": "PermissionDenied", "namespace": "grpc", "request_id": "450884f0-bed8-4885-a176-a9c3b880e436"}
error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway `58a0cbfffe800514@ttn`)
    uid=58a0cbfffe800514@ttn
    correlation_id=da4477bb6ce44d4e91de60a4ac11eab2

The CLI works fine as I can list my applications. Maybe the gateway is somehow “lost” (or orphaned) as discussed here. But I did not find any relevant clue to my issue.

Any ideas, please? Thanks.

Is this gateway registered by you or someone else?

Yep, we have been using it in the office for quite some time and I was using it under my account in V2 (user ID hardwario). Thanks.

I tried both. It doesnt work either way.
If I try to claim the gateway before registering (as suggested by htdvisser), the error message tells me:
“listen pal, you can’t do that because the gateway is not registered” (error code 5 as noted above)

By the powers of deduction I try as the error suggests. I register and the claim.
In that case I get: “gateway xxx already exists and is not authorized for claiming”

As I tried to point out I have two ttigs.
The first one I can claim both ways: claiming it before registering, or registering before claiming.
The other one won’t work either way.

The point is that I have two TTIG gateways that show difference in behaviour.
I’m trying to find out what could this difference be based on…

LOL, a lot, I mean mega-LOL.

Hylke is a member of the core team at The Things Industries - I don’t do what he suggests because I’m too old & cranky. The clever people follow his instructions because he’s one of the ones that makes the thing that ends up with the instructions that means he really really does know what he’s doing.

The EUI you quote above is not in the database (tested by creating a gateway with it, don’t worry, I’ve removed it now).

So it’s not in the database, please try, slowly & carefully, try claiming it. Please document each & every step, possibly even a screen recorder, and capture any & all logs / messages etc.

To be clear, I was a third-party tester to get the claiming process from beta to release. So despite my contrary stance to anyone half my age writing really cool code, I do know a bit about the gateway register vs claim “thing”.

If it doesn’t work, please PM me your WiFi password and I can try and then transfer it over to you.

Well that was easy! I have to concur with @BoRRoZ (good to see you post again!), I found the process very straight forward once I got a high enough resolution photo of the label on my TTIG

Claim worked first go from V3 console, reboot and within seconds I could see Gateway config update sent to the device and metadata returned. I have gone from zero to 3 TTI gateways in a weekend, port some devices across and then consider the future for my old RAK831 workhorse on my home TV antenna pole!

Nice one @htdvisser, thanks!

2 Likes

I am trying to transfer Existing Gateway TTIG from V2 to V3. In CLI I want to execute the “gateways claim authorize” command, unfortunately I get an “invalid token” error. My question is: where do I get the token for the “gateways claim authorize” command?

Blockquote
C:\Users\jacek\Downloads\ttn_cli>ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize eui-58a0cbfffe80xxxx --api-key TOKEN_STRING
error:pkg/auth:token (invalid token)
correlation_id=30d2976883f34ae9b328d860b9fxxxx
Blockquote

I logged in to CLI again.

C:\Users\jacek\Downloads\ttn_cli>ttn-lw-cli login
INFO    Revoking the old OAuth token...
INFO    Opening your browser on https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network/oauth/authorize?client_id=cli&redirect_uri=local-callback&response_type=code
INFO    After logging in and authorizing the CLI, we'll get an access token for future commands.
INFO    Waiting for your authorization...
INFO    Successfully got an access token.

Then I ran the command
\ ttn_cli> ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize eui-58a0cbfffe800b **

C:\Users\jacek\Downloads\ttn_cli>ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize eui-58a0cbfffe800b**
INFO    No API Key provided. Creating one
WARN    Finished unary call     {"duration": 0.0955, "error": "rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway `eui-58a0cbfffe800b**@ttn`)", "error_correlation_id": "eaaa40db2dee47498cc20fb4c9a44fb9", "error_name": "no_gateway_rights", "error_namespace": "pkg/auth/rights", "grpc.method": "CreateAPIKey", "grpc.service": "ttn.lorawan.v3.GatewayAccess", "grpc_code": "PermissionDenied", "namespace": "grpc", "request_id": "b71d7bdf-932d-4362-a232-935f496c6d23"}
error:pkg/auth/rights:no_gateway_rights (no rights for gateway `eui-58a0cbfffe800b**@ttn`)
    uid=eui-58a0cbfffe800b**@ttn
    correlation_id=eaaa40db2dee47498cc20fb4c9a44fb9

Why am I not right for gateway?