RAK831 with Raspberry Pi 3+ not connected

I have this 5 global_config files
json

I have replaced all of them with the downloaded global_confg.json but is doesn’t work. Maybe my RAK 831 had a problem. I dont know. Sorry i am a newbie in this area.

As earlier make sure config isn’t being over written….is there a local_conf? That will take precedence over global….

This is my config right now. Stored at /opt/ttn-gateway/bin/
global_conf.json (3.5 KB)
local_conf.json (3.5 KB)
And this is in the console.
gw02
I think that should be okay. I dont know why is doesnt work

When I come to save the two files for review both try to save as local_ …have you accidentaly posted same file twice (look the same & same size - might be genuinly same but…) even though calling one as global_ in your post?

Sorry my fault. This is the local file
local_conf.json (315 Bytes)

I think my RAK 831 has a problem.
I try it with another one

Make sure the reset pin is defined correctly. And make sure SPI is enabled on the RPi.

Which is where we were 4 -5 hrs+ ago :slight_smile: As you seem to be using dupont cables to connect Pi to conc card alternate is check how set in the firmware and move the wire on the Pi connector… be sure not to confuse Pi pins with GPIO with BCM pins etc…

I think I have destroyed the conc card. I unintentionally started the pi earlier even though the antenna was not connected to the conc card. Maybe the transceiver is burnt out because the conc card only has the 2 standard leds on…

Pi’s don’t use Windows paths …

Maybe, maybe not. But until you get the settings right to run the card at a hardware level, you’ll never know.

Unlikely. It would still start but just have RF issues. You need to check SPI is properly enabled and the reset pin. And if you are using DuPont wires, check each and every one of them. I’ve had too many of them that were broken. Switched to wire wrapping for reliable prototyping and real PCBs for production stuff.
And of course you need to check you did wire things correctly.

I have plenty of RPi based gateways, some with the RAK831 card, running smoothly.

You may also find you have to dial down the bus speed - though is usually only an issue where the designers inserted level shifters that then failed to support full speed… should not be an issue with direct wired, but may be worth considering if you wiring is too long or poorly done or suffering from some local interference - best as above is use a proper inteface pcb (RAK has an official one), Like Jac I have dozens of these configs (various PI’s +RAK831 -using PCB, not duponts) deployed with no major issues, it will be the details that get you!. Sadly I moved the last of my TTN Zurich/Technoblogy SMTC UDP style builds (similar to PiSupply but without direct wiring) over to alternate form and switched over PF to Jac’s MPPF last year otherwise I would follow paths, copy example file for you to follow and PM to you…

SPI is activated. I have now tried various cabling. Unfortunately without success. Do you know which pin is the reset pin on the RAK831?

Here are the logs from raspberry
logs.txt (6.3 KB)

What did you find when you tried the documentation or did a search?..

Never mind…

What did the PiSuppy instructions you linked to give you?

As Nick might say - “Cochleari Pascens” :man_shrugging: :wink:

I have now tried all the possibilities and instructions. It just does not want to work. I will now get a new Cond Card module and test it again. Otherwise, I’m looking here another 20 hours for an error. Thanks for your help.

Its promising in a way that you see

Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: Beacon is disabled
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: Monitor is disabled
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: Contact email configured to ""
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: Description configured to "HubBePi"
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: Successfully contacted server eu1.cloud.thethings.network
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: INFO: [main] Starting the concentrator
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW ttn-gateway[917]: ERROR: [main] failed to start the concentrator
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW systemd[1]: ttn-gateway.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 23 15:11:06 HubBeGW systemd[1]: ttn-gateway.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

As at least you know you are reaching the LNS - the concentrator issue is 99% down to reset problem… can you check the config file - its might be /start.sh or similar(*) where the reset pin (BCM pin) is defined in your set up. If wired correctly there is no obvious reason other than bad luck or a bad dupont per Jac that it shoudn’t work…

(*) or did you follow this step

**Step 4** – Before we setup the gateway on the TTN webpage, you will need to create smallish script, which you can use to reset the gateway. Open up the terminal window and create a bash file with command **sudo nano rak831_reset.sh** and enter the following:

#!/bin/bash
echo “17” > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo “out” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/direction
echo “1” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value
sleep 5
echo “0” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value
sleep 1
echo “0” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value

In which case “831_reset.sh” where you then need to be sure to do

"Now go back to the Raspberry Pi and reboot it. Once you have rebooted go to the command line in the terminal window and type in the following to reset the Gateway:

sudo bash rak831_reset.sh

After a few moment you should now see the blue LED light up on the RAK concentrator board. This indicates that it is activated and connected to the TTN network. You can confirm this by checking the Gateway status in the TTN Console."

It is more usual to have the reset action as part of the normal gw start up rather than having to manually trigger esp if chance GW may see a power cycle without ability to connect locally or need to visit a remote site to effect a reset…

Yes I have already tried it

This is my shart.sh file. I cannot find here where i configure a reset pin.
startscript.txt (1.4 KB)

This is my setup. I have also already changed the dupont cable.

Though the RAK831 is (sadly) now permanently out of stock Ken and the team may still be able to supply you one of these (direct or via a channel partner) - may be worth getting one…!

I will try to get time later to ring out the pinning to see which RPi pin it uses to then perhaps try and use the stock RAK firmware with updates to target TTN V3 - TTS(CE)…

Thank you very much. Can you recommend me an available concentrator card for raspberry pi that I can buy?