The hard RAK831 cafe part 1

Sure, will do it on next revision. Unfortunately the rPi anyway don’t spit out the terminal on default config.

I would like a network connector and maybe this :sunglasses:

@kilobyte
Thanks,
Correct for Serial, but editing config to change this on SD is easy with any computer, as it’s on the FAT

@BoRRoZ
humm you want to display info from packet forwarder on display? Love it :wink:
For network, maybe easier to USB->Ethernet like this?

Because adding ethernet to a shield could be painfull (pcb and driver) :wink:

I have one of these (looks like this one!) USB-Ethernet adaptor and only 2 of the three USB ports work, the third is dead. As soon as I connect ethernet to this adaptor the Pi Zero (pre W) slows to a snail’s pace? I have not investigated except that it is totally consistent. Had me confused for a while as first try was on a new disk image, didn’t suspect my “fast” ethernet adaptor.

Was about €3 from China… “you buy cheap = you buy twice” perhaps?

pi zero ethernet adapters

https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/MoinMoinExport/USBtoLanAdapters.html

Yep, it will have integrated ethernet (no usb rubbish). No display for now.

nice … then add an I2C connector if possible :wink:

All my boards have a I2C :slight_smile:

1 Like

@GryKyo
Correct I have some china modules, the most important part is the chipset, if you want to avoid pain, you need to be sure it’s already in the kernel of the distrib you’re using, for example, on $9 Chip Computer, the china ones are not recognized.
Example: these one were not recognized by Chip Computer (Jessie) 4.4 kernel
Kontron (Industrial Computer Source / ICS Advent) DM9601 Fast Ethernet Adapter

An the one I provided on the link (Realtek RT8152B) mounted eth0 immediately, I can imagine it’s the same for PI Zero

@BoRRoZ thanks for the link, very helpfull because chipset are indicated so it’s fine, until they send you exactly the same adapter than the description :wink:

@Charles
Without straying way off this thread topic I just surprised myself (above my pay grade) by checking the module on the Pi Zero kernel

Blockquote
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0fe6:9700 Kontron (Industrial Computer Source / ICS Advent) DM9601 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Blockquote
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ modinfo dm9601
filename: /lib/modules/4.9.35+/kernel/drivers/net/usb/dm9601.ko
license: GPL
description: Davicom DM96xx USB 10/100 ethernet devices
author: Peter Korsgaard jacmet@sunsite.dk
srcversion: 9188BA9738A6BCF0D399BC5
alias: usb:v0A46p1269ddcdscdpiciscipin
… lots more alias’s here…
alias: usb:v07AAp9601ddcdscdpiciscipin
depends:
intree: Y
vermagic: 4.9.35+ mod_unload modversions ARMv6 p2v8

But with the ethernet cable plugged in the processor runs so slow screen refresh is visible like a wipe/sweep. Junk???

…buy cheap = buy twice :rofl:

I’ve been led astray - The NanoPi Neo and RAK831.
Anyone interested is making one of these, the design files are here:
https://github.com/pcm52/NanoPi_Neo_RAK831
I have a few extra bare boards going free for anyone who is really keen and likes soldering 0805 sized parts. :slight_smile:
Currently running this with AU915.

IMG_0606

6 Likes

nice ! LoRaWAN Gateway | pcm52

which packet forwarder you use ?

@Olabec
I love this one, thanks for sharing, I’ll try to add FTDI connector on the board and let it fit it on a classic enclosure. Many thanks for sharing

What distro are you using? Is it stable on nanoPI?
Remember it had some SPI issues, is it okay now?

I think new @kersing multi packet forwarder should works fine, need to be tried :wink:

I’m using Friendly Elec’s distro of Ubuntu 4.11.2.
Is it stable? - I haven’t run it for any long periods of time. So far so good.
I haven’t heard of any issues with SPI. Was that using the Armbian distro?
Yes, it needs testing with the new packet forwarders. I’ve stuck with the basic setup for now.
I think others have tested the NanoPi Neo with the new packet forwarders? - @Epyon?

Hi Olabec, I am also running a RAK831 with the NanoPi Neo - but without your wonderful interface PCB. I mention my setup here: - https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/labs/story/what-next-after-the-first-run-of-your-gateway - seems a stable configuration so far. Also, see my post in this topic on September 1st.

Running very fine and stable on a NanoPi Neo with the Armbian mainline kernel here :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I have a gateway running on a Raspberry Pi and RAK 831, and using the RAK interface board. It works well. Does anyone know if we could solder a GPS surface-mounted chip on the interface board in the space marked ‘U301/GPS module’?

@dhallgb , recently I asked RAKwireless. They quickly responded:
You can install MAX-7Q GPS module.

I will give this one a try: MAX-7Q

Be careful ordering Ublox from AliExpress. There are a lot of fakes with a different chipset in the can

Be careful with MAX-7Q. Layout different from MAX-7 Hardware Manual recommendations for active antenna. Also possible Quectel L70 or L76.