The WORKBENCH part 3

Hi again @BoRRoZ, I should have added that if you are installing an ethernet copper cable from indoors to equipment with an antenna outdoors on the roof then you really need to include an ethernet lightning arrestor. See the picture below for an example. The arrestor needs to go indoors and be grounded into your building’s electrical safety ground. Otherwise you risk an electric storm frying your router, other stuff and yourself.

20190524_154015

I buy these online from Amazon by searching “ethernet lightning arrestor”. I only buy the direct Amazon ones. I don’t think that this is something that I would buy from any website where I didn’t trust the quality.

1 Like

ok… didn’t know that, this whole ‘exercise’ is getting more and more expensive :sunglasses:

40%20PM

found them :yum:

This one has been on my roof for the last 15 years…
ftp-001

ftp-002

ftp-003

It might be good to go for FTP/STP but other than that, I would not care too much…

1 Like

that’s what I’ve found too yesterday (I think :wink:)

https://www.netwerkproducten.com/cat-5e-ftp-stugge-grondkabel-met-pe-mantel-per-met.html#wsquery=field%20conn

I’ve read that this cable type needs special ‘field connectors’ ?
and what type of protection do you use between the ethernet cable and router, and can I build it inside the outdoor enclosure too ?

Hi,

i use ubiquiti toughcable carrier (thoughcable pro sucks) for outdoor equipment. It is cheap and the connectors are very small, they fit to many eqipment.

TC-CARRIER
and
TC-CON-100

You can mount it with the KNIPEX RJ45 from @jwijngaard post.

Knipex 97 51 10 Crimpzange Modularstecker (Westernstecker) RJ11, RJ12, RJ45

1 Like

found the knipex (NL) :sunglasses:

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/839945/krimptang-modulaire-stekkers-(western)-rj11-rj12-rj45.html

I use the same connectors everywhere…

Nothing… :blush:

Last time we had a serious thunder strike in the area (2 years ago), the surge propagated through the network, killed 3 switches, a Raspberry Pi and my Soekris gateway… but it did came from the cable TV, not from that antenna…

I am not saying you should not protect your equipment, better safe than sorry, I just share my experience…

When I am in the mood of climbing on the roof, I’ll replace that WiFi setup by a TTN one, and I might consider adding some protection at that time (I am still debating with myself, hesitating between a POE setup like this one or having the gateway inside)

x1391
x1392
x1393

want to use it as a solar temperature / alarm sensor
every 5 minutes a temperature reading and at night it also switches on the alarm function with the buildin pir detector.
try for minimal wiring (3 to original PCB)

x1396
x1397
ds18b20 test
38%20PM
03%20PM
before

x1399
after :sunglasses:

5 Likes

:scream: :sweat_smile:

I am interested to see how this works @BoRRoZ. I have some of these in transit and today the postman delivered some TP5000 modules to charge a 3.6v LiFe04 cell in that slot from small solar. Properly protected (ironically from UV!) this is potentially a €15 permanently deployed LoRaWAN end device.
This is the sort of price one would envisage for a production device not something from @BoRRoZ or @GryKyo hacking at home!
Has been almost all uPython lately, will be a bit of a shocker to dive back into LMIC in Arduino though my IDE of choice has evolved to PlatformIO mostly…
Keep us posted ?
G

2 Likes

x1398

Sun is shining !
BoRRoZ3-100

x1400

thank you Doctor Ali :sunglasses:

x1401
LTC3780 Automatic Regulator Constant Voltage/Current Step Up Down solar Charging

The whole electrolysis using imported patch, low resistance, high frequency capacitor, make the ripple down to the freezing point. ’ … :thinking:

1 Like

x1402

x1403
just missing a few parts for this POC :sunglasses:

x1428
yagi no 4 arrived - now I have 4 identical antenna’s

2 Likes

The cats?

1 Like

:rofl:

* now a mechanism… these yagi’s should unfold like an umbrella :smirk:

Making holes…
… the easy way :roll_eyes:

TTN-MaxBotix-014

1 Like

x1406
that’s cool :wink:

Are you going to stack them to create a single directional antenna or create a 4-directional antenna?

1 Like

a 4 directional and one omni… connected to a digital attenuator, a node and a gateway, a GPS and a digital compass.
all MCU controlled