Things Outdoor Gateway - TTOG part 1

Hello Community,

I just received and set up my TTOG according to the official docs.

It does not show up as “active” in the TTN Console but it DOES forward LoRa packages of Nodes nearby.

However.

I tried to update Firmware (as stated in the docs) but this fails always just like in the attached screenshot.

Also I realised that screenshots here in the forum and in the internet do show completely different version number of the gateway software (as shown by a label in the web interface).

What to do now?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Check the file name is exactly that of the original.

Hi, I have the same version and I can forward packets. You only need change the name/Dir of “server address”

I have some things unos that I’ve tested with the things gateway, so I know they work. But the TTOG seems to only receive SF10 join requests from my uno, and only sends SF10 join accepts back, which my uno never receives. The gateway is running firmware opdk-1.01.09. Is my problem that the uno won’t listen on SF10? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gateways are supposed to be transparent, this really doesn’t sound like an issue with the gateway but rather misconfiguration of the node. It should probably be in its own topic, supported by logs of the raw traffic and debug output from the node.

I am trying to get my SIM to function properly, and hope this is the right place and topic. [edit: I’ve looked at the troubleshooting guide, but cannot determine the issue–if you have any experience with this issue, please advise]. The SIM is Detected and Connected, but is not sending information to TTN when I unplug the ethernet (LTE is secondary). Details below.

• TTOG 915 opdk-1.01.09 has been working well on Ethernet and I have been able to access the interface through my local network using the DHCP WAN Type. All works well, sending packets to TTN etc.

• The SIM uses a little data on boot, but does not get packets to TTN. I followed the static IP settings @PSU-EME-WAG posted above from the original setup page. That did not work for me, so I had to set the static IP suggested by @vlamingBoyz (make sure you’re on the same hub/router/switch).

• It is clear the SIM is connecting to cellular (3G-4G_LTE-Log.txt (4.2 KB) ) but there it appears to not receive the provided IP etc. and defaults (I’m not sure if that is correct or not; see full log):

• Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

• The WAN Status looks good:
    as does the LTE information below it:

• The packets (Tx and Rx) do not change, and when I disconnect the Ethernet, the SIM drops the IP and shows disconnected briefly after I plug in the Ethernet.
    After about 30s or more, the IP and connection back with significantly less packets on Tx (uplink) and Rx (downlink status):

Any help or thoughts would be great. (sidenote: The technical support group has been quite helpful on several email questions, but I thought I would reach out here first this time).

Works now. Worked with ConnectedThings to solve.
Reset to Factory settings, set all the parameters correctly for our region and TTN and my LTE carrier.

I have been trying to see where the issue was, but from my notes and screen grabs, I cannot see any differences in the setups. Very excited to deploy away from a hard connection!

I configured a TTOG a few months ago and used it a few days, then unplugged it and configured a TTIG for testing a lot of sensors in our lab. Yesterday i plugged the TTOG back in and after a few minutes it showed up on The Things console, but no traffic.

I logged into it and can ping remote sites. The firmware says opdk-1.01.09.
If i plug in the TTIG again, all the sensors in the lab show traffic on just the TTIG.

I’m not sure what to look for in the packet forwarder logs, it’s mostly warnings about no gps.
I must be missing something obvious as this TTOG worked a few months ago and it’s just been sitting in the lab unplugged.
Please advise.

We bought a TTOG for testing and evaluation and set it up. We’re using it as a LTE/3G gateway. The setup went without any issues and the GW was up and running swiftly. It ran fine for about 12-18 hours then it dropped from the Internet. We rebooted it, and it came back online, only to go offline again in about 24 hours. We then connected it up using an ethernet cable and let it run for couple days to verify that it stays connected.

Now we switched back to 3G again and the GW went offline in a little over 24 hours. Is the 3G/LTE connection in TTOG reliable in general?

Also, in the TTOG manual I see mention of a cloud configuration/monitor platform for the GW. This was something that appealed to us when selecting our preferred hardware. Unfortunately I’ve been unable to find any reference to how to get access to that cloud service.

Ok, I just got hold of the tech department of our mobile carrier. They checked and verified that the SIM card is currently actively connected to their gateway. So it’s definitely a TTOG issue. Will have to drive over and check the logs.

1 Like

I have a TTOG US915 version… can someone help me with the proper settings for the “Radio and Channel Settings” tab under the Packet Forwarder > Module 1 Settings? I am using the latest firmware 1.01.09

What are the proper settings for the " Central Frequency " and offsets for each channel ? I tried setting setting 904700000 as the central channel, but then the required offsets are too far out of range and aren’t accepted?

Has no one ever bought and properly configured a TTOG US915 before for TTN 8 channels???

Configuration

Thanks to the connected things store for responding soo fast. I can verify this works
See below:

All you have to do is set the central frequencies to 904200000 and 905000000

Cheers

Cameron

Configuration

Thanks for this info Cameron. It helped get me unstuck too.

I’m curious why some channels are assigned to Radio 1, when that radio does not actually exist on the TTOG? Any ideas?

1 Like

Radio 1 most certainly exists on the TTOG. One concentrator card has two radios, radio 0 and radio 1.

You probably mean there is no second concentrator card present in the device. (Which would also have two radios)

1 Like

Each sx1301 base band processor/multi modem has a pair of sx125x (typically 57 for most bands) RF/radio front ends in front of it and typically these support 4 channels each to cover the 8 rxchannels implementing 1 concentrator. 2 concentrator (16 channel) systems use 2 sx1301’s with 4 radios…

1 Like

Along with the previous posts about TTOG frequency settings, Does anyone by any chance know the frequency settings for the AS_920_923 setting in the things arduino library?
I have attempted to set TTOG’s frequencies to numbers shown in this file: https://github.com/TheThingsNetwork/lorawan-frequency-plans/blob/master/AS_920_923.yml however, I keep getting message_format": “frequency plans must be from the same band”,

frequency plans

My Gateway has suddenly stopped working – well, actually a few months ago, but I’m just getting to it now. It seems properly configured …
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.13.46 PM

and the log seems normal:

INFO: tx_start_delay=1497 (1497.000000) - (1497, bw_delay=0.000000,INFO: Beacon dequeued (count_us=1239450094)    
JSON up: {"stat":{"time":"2020-09-11 19:18:17 GMT","lati":35.69403,"long":-78.77931,"alti":143,"rxnb":0,"rxok":0,"rxfw":0,"ackr":0.0,"dwnb":0,"txnb":0}}    
##### END #####    
# GPS coordinates: latitude 35.69403, longitude -78.77931, altitude 143 m    
# Valid time reference (age: 1 sec)    
### [GPS] ###    
# SX1301 time (PPS): 1232450059    
### [JIT] ###    
# BEACON rejected: 0    
# BEACON sent so far: 8    
# BEACON queued: 11    
# TX errors: 0    
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)    
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# PULL_DATA sent: 3 (0.00% acknowledged)    
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###    
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 0.00%    
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 1 (155 bytes)   
# RF packets forwarded: 0 (0 bytes)   
# CRC_OK: 0.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets received by concentrator: 0    
### [UPSTREAM] ###   
##### 2020-09-11 19:18:17 GMT #####
WARNING: [gps] GPS out of sync, keeping previous time reference
JSON up: {"stat":{"time":"2020-09-11 19:17:47 GMT","lati":35.69397,"long":-78.77934,"alti":142,"rxnb":1,"rxok":0,"rxfw":0,"ackr":0.0,"dwnb":0,"txnb":0}}
##### END #####

Does anybody from The Things Industries monitor these forums? There seems to be zero support other than here, and despite all the helpful advice, I’m having problems with the brand new US$600 gateway I just bought and installed. Fortunately, if it doesn’t start working soon, I’ll contest the charge with my credit card company, but I’d much rather have a working TTOG.
Also, the datasheet I saw for the outdoor gateway claimed it was a 16-channel device, but the unit I received is definitely only 8 channels (per the firmware and the fact that there is only one radio module inside). Perhaps they shipped the wrong frequency??? I’d love to discuss it with someone, but the idea of TTI seems to be a brick wall - after they have your money their idea is not to support the product.
I’ve tried three different firmware versions, including the 1.01.09 and the 3.09.99 files linked in this chain. Both allow me to register and connect the gateway to TTN infrastructure, and the gateway shows up on my Console, but the outdoor gateway will not allow connections on the LoRa side.
I’ve used with success the indoor gateway (TTIG) and sent and received traffic through the console with no problems, but the outdoor gateway seems to be a $600 paperweight at this point.
I’m seeing this error in the log with the 1.09.09 firmware:
ERROR: [main] failed to start the concentrator
but in other areas of the code it shows that the concentrator started successfully.
Lora concentrator appears to be 5.0.1, Beacon Packet Forwarder is version 4.0.1.
I’ve used the exact same LoRa end device (an Adafruit Feather 900 MHz LoRa board) with no trouble through an indoor gateway, but this outdoor gateway doesn’t provide JoinAccept responses.
so clearly there’s either a problem with this firmware, the configuration of the device, or the hardware itself. Any hints?
EDIT - SUCCESS: The firmware does not correctly set the frequency plan for the gateway! After digging through every document I could find, manually setting Radio 0 to 904.2 MHz and Radio 1 to 905.0 MHz has finally allowed packets through! Please fix the firmware or the provisioning from the console to fix the frequencies! Also, the GPS location shows up in the log file, but not on the console. This is still pretty buggy but I’m happy to have some packets moving through. I am still disappointed that it’s sold as a 16 channel gateway but only supports 8 (unless the wrong unit was shipped).
I also applied to start a community but have not heard back. Anyone else have feedback on how long that process requires?

1 Like

Just received a TTOG, read through this entire thread in order to get the firmware upgraded. Twice!

Still have no root access via SSH since the browan@AABBCC MAC bytes password does not work in any way. Does anyone know what could be preventing me from gaining root access?

Firmware Version is opdk-1.01.09
It’s a US915 version of the gateway

So far I’m not impressed with this “Turnkey” gateway.

1 Like

Indeed, that is the latest version of the firmware linked from The Things Store: https://connectedthings.store/gb/lorawan-gateways/outdoor-lorawan-gateways/the-things-outdoor-gateway-868-mhz.html

But I really don’t thing that is ACTUALLY the latest version of the Browan Gateway. I think it should be more like version 3.0, as seen in their documentation on their website: https://www.browan.com/product/outdoor-micro-gateway/detail. Have a look at the AWS IoT demo doc for instance.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get hold of latest firmware? I think that latest firmware should also have compatibility with Lora Basic Station.

Also, it would be very much appreciated if anyone would be able to advise on how to use TTOG with The Things Stack. See post here: TTOG & The Things Stack

1 Like