TTN GATEWAY central 2

Happy news! We finally made time to dig out the PICKit 3 and do a proper flash of the gateway firmware rather than just the SD/OTA update. IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING! :smiley:

No more reboot loops. No more LoRa UART Timeouts. 4 lights steady.

Thanks to the team! We have a ballgame :smiley:

4 Likes

Dears,

Can one of you help to update my ttn gateway?
After a while the gateway stops sending/receiving messages and I hope a new version of the firmware could fix this.

What tools do I need for this?
Would someone have a procedure for it?

Thanks

Marc

give it a few days!! :frowning:

Same here - for people in the ā€˜s-Hertogenbosch (Netherlands) region. Pickit3 available and ready to assist people in updating their TTN gateway bootloader, although personally I would suggest waiting until we get some stable firmware released.

4 Likes

Good to hear that your gateway is working now, @guru. However, donā€™t get your hopes up too much. There are still some known issues that need to be fixed by the @TTP team before we can call the gateway firmware stable. I agree with @davidver that itā€™s probably better to wait with flashing gateways until there is a proven stable firmware version.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:
At least weā€™ve got a nice testing platform so we can better stock and test our LoRa(WAN) range at http://pimoroni.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem why I erased full serial flash is still continuous.

The gateway activates and deactivates automatically with out any prior notification. so we did RESET many times and we erased serial flash.

Now the same problem, again the gateway deactivated. Now we are not going to do RESET again.

First LED is on.
Second LED is blinking or trying to connect gateway.
Third LED is ON.
Forth LED is ON.

But gateway is not working.

I just took delivery of my gateway today. After setting it up it went into the infamous boot loop. I canā€™t believe this issue (and solution) was not in the FAQ yet!

It took me several hours to read this (and previous) thread until finally the solution emerged: upgrade the firmware using an SD card. I tried stable (v1.0.2-475aef56) first: the bootloop remained. Then the beta (v1.0.3-2c56ce09) which seemed to work, but the firmware was then downgraded to stable over the internet. So I disabled automatic update in the console and flashed the develop (v1.0.3-fd0901ae) version. The gateway seems to be stable now!

Hello - I am still having loss of connection to the Things router with my beta firmware

Hardware: v1
Bootloader: r1-7167873a (2017-06-02T13:48:18Z)
Firmware: v1.0.3-2c56ce09 (2018-03-22T12:20:52Z)

It has gotten subjectively better in the last 2 weeks, I still have to reboot the gateway every some days. Is this issue known and addressed?

Inside my house I do nt lose the connection to the gateway, am still able to see the web frontend. Externally, I am having a static IP. My router runs the outward connection for weeks uninterrupted

It looks to me as there is no instance surveilling the connection to the router and if dropped, re-establishes it automatically. ideally reports and / or shows the circumstances automatically so the product can be improved or diagnosis might be easier. Could this be the case?

Same error here.

Have you been able to solve it?

No progress. Iā€™ve pretty much given up. I still get this error

Hi, my TTN gateway is functioning perfectly but seems to have suddenly gone quite deafā€¦ Tested side by side with an IC880A - based gateway (using the same pigtail & antenna) and the difference is very noticeable. Messages from the same node are received by the IC880A with RSSI -65, but the TTN gateway reports -118 (!).
Does this sound familiar to anyone? It seems that the receiver is broken. Is there any way to get a replacement if this turns out to be the case? A reboot did not fix this issue btw.
Thanks!
Marc.

I still have to reboot my device every day., despite using beta firmware.

Hello? Is someone listening? Knock knock? Will this be addressed and how? What can I contribute to solve it?

Nothing?

Only the vast void of space?

That would be sad.

Andreas

1 Like

Hi there,

Unboxed and installed a new gateway yesterday and I seem to be hit by this problem as well. Not happy with the stability of the system as it stands - out of the box it should be stable at least. Also I think the node setup is pretty poor - this stands out as a development system still and not quite ready for primetime. Please work on your quality controls and testing guys.

Best regards,
Richard

1 Like

I donā€™t want to sound like a ā€˜stalkerā€™ but you may gain some comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

After receiving the TTN Gateway, I could not get it activated using the standard process: after sending the config, the gateway gets into a reboot loop.

Today, I flashed the firmware to the beta using an sd-card. Now, I am getting further. First, I manage to configure the gateway with my wireless network settings. It then reboots to log on. This results in two leds with a slow flash of the third. At some points, there seem to be three leds permanently on, but it reverts back to two plus the third flashing slowly.

On the wireless network, I see the device. When pointing a browser to the ip-address, I am getting the ā€œgateway settingsā€ screen, showing the Gateway ID pre-filled, a dropdown box with the WiFi Access Point, showing wireless networks in range, and a WiFi Password field.

On the settings screen, I choose my wireless network, and fill the password. When pressing ā€œsaveā€, I am getting an error ā€œThe length of your gateway ID needs to be over 6 characters.ā€. The ID of my gateway is 4 characters. No problem registering a 4-character gateway id. But, apparently, this is not allowed. And it seems that I can not change the gateway ID anymore.

The activation process seems to be getting one step further after the firmware upgrade. The gateway is visible on the wireless network after configuring it with a (wireless) point-to-point (infrastructure) link. Looking at the error message, the short gateway ID might be blocking the activation process.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gateway00

Reset the gateway for 5 seconds. TTN Gateway - FAQ. Maybe this help.

Ah, thanks. The procedure that also resets the ID. Will try!

My gateway was updated to 1.0.3 and runs OK as long as power is not cycled or it is not physically moved. If either of these things happen it loses its configuration and I have to go through the whole 'power up while holding pink button" routine, attach to its AP, configure etc.

So I have to be physically next to the device.

I noted from my PIC that when it fails it is always on the line about the ā€˜UART connection to LoRaā€™. I then open it up, jiggle the LoRa board around a few times (to get it reseated?) and start again. After doing this I always get ā€˜UART to LoRa Success.ā€™ and it runs till the next time someone touches it or the power cycles.

Seems I have identified the problem with mine, how do I fix it permanently?

Where did you get the gateway information screenshot from? I cannot find it on TTN nor by accessing my device directly (192.168.1.xx)

Also my gateway is now back on 1.0.2, why? I didnā€™t change anything?