Can't register Gateway - EUI is still in use

Yes, I deleted '23.

This is my second day of work, I’m just employed. So I was just introduced to TTN. That was the reason of my mistake. Every data transmission was done by other engineers.

Looping in @Ivete-Ursalink over at Ursalink as may be able to shed light on how to configure/recover as Ursalink (Now Milesight Tech) management - Cheney - promised to send on test/eval units after last Jan’s TTN Conf so we could help gain experience and assist with just such questions and config issues… but sadly never arrived :frowning: Did you configure the EUI ending '23 or was that set by Ursalink? Maybe thats how they do things but seems inconsistent with other MAC derived EUI’s so we need their help I guess :slight_smile:

Update - just seen your last post so if only just started I guess you didnt configure…did one of the other engineers do it?

Changing the last digit of your factory assigned EUI to use as a custom identifier is utterly illegitimate and inappropriate - you’ve basically just “stolen” the factory assigned ID of the gateway some other party has purchased from the same manufacturer, specifically the one that rolled off the production line right after yours. Hopefully they bought it to use on a private network and not TTN, which you’ve now locked them out of…

If you’re going to change something, change the filler bytes in the middle.

Also

It does not connect.

It’s not clear that you have any way to actually know that, since there isn’t really much of a “connection state” between gateways and the network.

In practice, the only way you’ll know it is actually connected is to see traffic reported through it - if nothing more, at least raw traffic in the gateway page. And that will only happen if there’s something trying to be a node in range of the gateway.

No, it won’t, just like it says in the documentation.

What do you mean by this? Looking at the screen shots further down you have got it registered on TTN, so in the respect of undoing the deletion of the gateway (with all its associated warnings), you have solved the problem.

Do the gateway logs show a connection to TTN? As @cslorabox says, are there any devices in range.

I think the main thing is that it is possible to register the gateway with TTN, albeit you need to get an EUI that isn’t going to cause any issues.

RTFM - https://resource.milesight-iot.com/milesight/document/ug65-user-guide-en.pdf - the gateway has an EUI (however improperly formed) and a gateway ID that is used for registration - a second / faux / copy EUI.

The screen shot on page 23 shows they are the same but you can change the gateway ID which is what it appears @TTNFipronet has done and got the gateway registered with TTN.

The next trick is checking if it should be active …

Before anything else though, use an ID that isn’t assigned by the manufacturer to someone else!

1 Like

Why would I want to RTFM - its not my GW and I’m not tech support! :wink: And I dont have one of these GW’s despite request…

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for adding me to this topic. I’ve sent this topic to our support team to take care of this issue and @TTNFipronet would soon receive answers or you can contact via iot.support@milesight.com.
Could you send me your email via private chat so we can continue the discussion since last January?
Ivete

2 Likes

I want to clear some things here, I jumped into LoRaWAN with no prior experience and as the result I’ve made many mistakes. @cslorabox is definitely right, but UG65 users are able to establish TTN connection using TTN packet forwarder (which is not available as of right now as far as I’ve experienced, but hopefully will be).
And as I learnt more, I realized I did not delete the gateway with EUI of 24E124FFFEF12023. I deleted the gateway with an ID of “eui-eui-24E124FFFEF12023”, not the real EUI. My only mistake was that I used the gateway EUI 24E124FFFEF12024, but like I said there are still options for them to configure TTN connection. I was not able to register gateway using 24E124FFFEF12023 because it was registered earlier by my companies’ engineers, before I was employed. I still some have questions, but this is not the place for them.

1 Like

So to confirm you are now back on line? With original EUI-24E124FFFEF12023 (as never actually deleted?), under ownership of other employee? (note they can add you as collaborator or transfer ownership to you through the console).

:thinking: Best you spend some time reading up on LORa/LORaWAN and the TTN Docs :wink: :slight_smile:

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/

I also have the same issue i removed my gateway and now could not register in either consoles v2 or v3
my gateway eui 58 A0 CB FF FE 80 14 11
please help, thanks

Don’t know about v3, but as I just said on the other thread, not possible on v2.

Please don’t double post.

Hi all

I’ve registered approx. 70 gateways without a problem until this morning when I’m getting the following issue on the v3 console: The Things Network Console
A gateway with EUI 00800000A0004C40 is already registered as eui-00800000a0004c40.

To the best of my knowledge I haven’t registered this gateway before as I tend to add them to the console on the morning of the installs

How can I get this device registered?

It is a Multitech IP67 gateway

Thanks Steve

The alternate gw appears to be ‘live’ in th V2 noc… and is located here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/40°41’59.3"N+14°28’58.9"E/@40.7130167,14.4877124,12z

If the data is to be believed. Perhaps you can reach out to owners/communities in Italy to find out if genuine or incorrect MAC derived EUID… you have double double checked your own typing, right? Can I’d be changed in gw firmware? What does Multitech support say wrt potential duplication?

1 Like

Thanks Jeff

It looks as though the device is located on the beach front at Pompeii!! i wonder whether work would pay for a trip just to check!! :grinning:

I’m awaiting it to come online so I can check the Multitech console and see whether I have made a typo. Failing that I will do as you suggest. Multitech have suggested a solution also

Cheers Steve

1 Like

There isnt a local community nearby so difficult to identify the owner, though the main TTN global map shows 2 x Multitech GW’s in close proximity - it may be same GW registered under slightly different info - have seen similar before. Good luck with the investigations…

Hi Albert, I would like to know if you were able to solve your problem with the account you deleted and the duplicate EUI that did not let you register your gateway from your new account.
I’m Alicia, in 2021 and I have the same problem, in a panic attack I deleted my TTN account without removing the devices and I can’t do anything!
If you were able to solve it I would love to know how you did it.

Greetings from Mexico :wink:

You’ve asked a question of someone from 2018 - things have totally changed since then.

As v2 is read-only, I’m guessing you must be trying to register on v3.

What is the manufacturer & model of the gateway - maybe there is a way to change it’s EUI.

Yes, what a pity to ask this kind of questions, isn’t it? I’m super novice!!

My equipment is a RAK Wisgate 7268 for indoor use.