Elsys ELT-2-HP - Firmware Update Options

Hi All,

I’ve inherited a few spare Elsys ELT-2-HP nodes and thought I would have a play around with them.

However I found at least for the first one, I am having issues with the stability of the node.

Probably due to them running quite OLD firmware 2.2.4, this version doesn’t support half the sensors etc I wouldn’t mind trying.

Little back story of troubleshooting too, for anyone interested with the devices on old firmware. I thought it would be good to post this as there hasn’t been much talk about this brand in terms of support (at least in the case of TTNv3/TTS)

I’ve got the device setup on TTNv3 Public, currently set as AU915 SB2 on the endpoint, and AU915 “Hybrid” on the device with subband 2 (aka 1 on the device is 8-15), AU915 normal mode doesn’t appear to work - not sure what the point of the different between these two settings?

When set to OTAA mode I get:

• A constant Join Loop, where every 20 seconds or so it will loop over and over, never gets to transmit any sensor data and frames up never changes.

When switched to ABP as a test:
a) I do get data as expected (as they are not joining - so good troubleshooting step to see a change) - but delayed to the 15minutes after booting ( i just get a diagnostic/fPort 6 payload at first, then followed by good onboard data after 15minutes has elapsed).

b) ADR doesn’t appear to work, no matter what settings are placed for Data Rate min and max values on the device it just always stays at the “default” value - mostly SF12, unless I force it to stick to one other than this like SF9/SF10, I was under the impression ADR is still supposed to work with ABP devices? (this is the first time using ABP and I typically have used OTAA so I am unsure).

c) LoRa Confirmed bug - with it set OFF or ON, the node receives equal Downlinks to match its uplink no matter what - so this doesn’t seem right.

c) Worked for about 97x uplinks (set on every 15 minutes as a test) then just stopped, battery is healthy and brand new @ 3.64volts, node never moved from where I placed it.

Plan is to firmware update to get around the ABP issues and/or at least switch back to OTAA
I have seen other ELT-2-HP devices I worked with that had newer firmware - so worked without issues.

I am wondering if anyone has a tutorial for Firmware Update that doesn’t involve Elsys proprietary “USB Stick” thing - their online store doesn’t accept PayPal and shipping from them and other vendors such as the UK has an $80 AUD postage to Australia for something worth $30 at most that I will use exactly once to firmware update the device, so any suggestions would be handy.

Or does anyone have a Elsys USB firmware update stick I can borrow :slight_smile:

Regards

Toby

1 Like

Anyone have any update on this? $300 worth of nodes that don’t work with TTNv3 because of non-updatable firmware…

Not totally unusual for a commercial company - but one with a good reputation using a known EU payment system so your credit card should be in safe hands.

Their carriage is €20 for economy for pretty much anywhere - something like that from the UK to Australia would cost £10 via RoyalMail + cost of packaging - so the €20 isn’t totally insane.

If the devices didn’t cost you, then for your $80AUD you can get them working - at a value of $300 that seems a good deal.

Puzzled I am.

If the firmware cannot be updated, so it works with TTNV3, it would seem unlikley that anyone would volunteer to reverse engineer the firmware and then produce a working version for TTNV3, and for $300 of nodes ?

Version 2.2.4 firmware that is on both is buggy, as per points above doesn’t work intended, These ELT-2-HP nodes are $150 each.

Hey Nick,

I’ve tried using a Visa gift card instead of my primary visa tied to my name - doesn’t work, had to email and had some response claiming I can’t buy it because I am not a company thus the card was being rejected, but I really don’t want to use my personal card BUT looks like I might have too (at least to try), pretty crazy considering PayPal is available on everything else.

Ah I think the $80 shipping was a third party stockist in Switzerland - recently stating “zero” stock. The total cost direct from Elsys store I think was around $90 for the stick all up including shipping - hence why I was trying to use a $100 gift card. I was kind of just curious if anyone in Australia or else where was able to lend the USB firmware updater instead of me purchasing it to only use it for 20seconds. It would be good to get these working, otherwise they are e-waste to everyone else as they don’t work.

Using a gift card for a niche techical purchase on the other side of the planet would be a good fraud trigger for the card network.

PayPal is only “available everywhere else” in the minds of English as a first language human life forms. Alipay is significantly larger and mobile device money systems like M-Pesa are as large as PayPal.

Rather than spinning your wheels tring to save a few bucks, just bite the bullet and JFDI

2 Likes

True I didn’t think of that, it is a worldwide Visa giftcard - but makes sense. I will try it with my card and report back, otherwise i will sell the nodes on eBay as non-functioning (at least in terms of TTNv3)

Hey Nick, you were right, my card worked fine, bought it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.