How do I know a gateway is operational?

HI Jeff, Thanks for the screen shots. Much more info than could see on my console. I don’t understand why you are not seeing events showing SF12, since that was the only time that my console was receiving data.

Arjan - I have used MQTT on a Particle Photon, whereby events published from my Photon via WiFi and broadband is picked up by their server, and I can add integrations on the server to send data to MQTT etc. Are you telling to install something on a TTN server of which I have no knowledge? I certainly do not know how to install Mosquito on my BBC Micro:bit ! You may well be assuming I have much more knowledge about this than I actually do.

Tony

Hi Arjan

I think I have managed to integrate the data storage app (Swagger). Presumably this has to be running when the node is being used in order to save data. The data that TTN saw earlier today is presumably lost, so I get a response code 204 “No Content” message.

Tony

Nope, you add it to the application as an integration and that’s it - you get the data saved for you automagically for up to 7 days.

The HTTP integration gives far more info - like the gateways and the RSSI, SNR and stuff. You give TTN a web address for a server you have, it sends the data, at worst save it as a text file.

Nothing to install, certainly not on a BBC micro:bit.

On one of your computers, you can install MQTT and then issue the command (per https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/applications/mqtt/) to receive data as it happens - it’s sort of like the HTTP integration but with more options and it adds to your street cred as you have two FLA’s running.

I simulated a send from my device to get a response from Swagger, but I keep getting ‘not authorised’. Which set of numbers or words is supposed to go into the authorise key box?

Got it - it’s the long authorisation string.

Hi Jeff

Are you still able to pm me the doc files from your gateway? Are they actually more complete than the pdf? - if not then don’t worry.

Tony

Hi Tony, been busy prepping for a mini grand tour of UK - in N.West today/tonight up to Tyne Valley & Newcastle tomorrow then down to Nottingham Thurs - servicing/updating & commissioning (and in case of Nottingham decommissioning :frowning: ) GW’s and picking up equipment for various LoRaWAN projects…PM in draft sending in a minute or two!

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sending me the doc file - I have been able to decode the 5 GPS locations I sent to your gateway at 12:23, 12:29, 12:39, 12:49, 12:59 (same as. 12:49), and 13:03BST, using the LoraWAN on-line packet decoder at https://lorawan-packet-decoder-0ta6puiniaut.runkit.sh and simulating the uplink of Cayenne LPP. Google lets me create a map of the locations (orange wifi symbol is me):Nottingham_Map.pdf (650.2 KB)

You have been very helpful - thank you!
Tony

Sadly had to take GW offline & pack away a couple of hours ago :frowning: … I did notice a step up in uplinks over last couple of days so assume you were able to get back for more tests in the interim :slight_smile:

Hi Jeff

Unlikely to be me unless there was some Sporadic E or Tropo. Yesterday afternoon I was transmitting from my node on SF12 with the ground plane antenna up at 13m on a mast at 100m ASL in Kirby Muxloe near Leicester. I didn’t see any hits on my console. Google Earth didn’t show line of sight to any gateways - the high ground a Bradgate Park would block any path to you.
If you need a trial in Leicester of one of your GWs, I could perhaps oblige. We are on a small hill 6km to the west of Leicester, and I have a spare mast in addition to my amateur radio one.

Tony

1 Like

Realised after I left site it was likely my own nodes… I had kitted out the hire van with 5 gps trackers + a couple of other sensors for my mini tour so of course when I came in range it was of picking up my txs! And as I was at site for >12 hrs b4 decommissioning that explains the bulk of the increase :wink:

2 Likes