LPS8 and LDS03A - Range

I moved it even further away in the house - this is now:

At such short distances RSSI of -123 to -135 you 99% chance you antennas are not working.

You need to double check the male - female orientation of the connectors.

1 Like

Like my set upā€¦make sure tool tight not just finger tightā€¦

Disconnect your antenna and put connectors side by side, post a picture.

@Johan_Scheepers - I agree - Iā€™ll check them again - on the LPS8 - the female has a smaller end on one side which I believe goes into the unit and then the outside is more normal shaped which the antenna should go on I believe. I made sure both ends are tight. On the LDS03A - there is a black wire with a button like cap for the antenna that is attached to the board - but I can not tried removing/reseating it - Iā€™ll try that now.

Have you ever run your GW without antenna connected? Dont be tempted, and if doing these changes and checks power off before disconnecting antā€¦otherwiseā€¦ :frowning:

Sounds like uFL connection - dont remove and just press to check on securelyā€¦

pics:
20221010_144755
20221010_144952

I donā€™t ā€˜thinkā€™ I have - but maybe during setup I might have and not realized it - it might make sense in this case.

That threaded barrel should not actually come out.

There are normally a piece of plastic ensuring the center pin donā€™t troche the outside. When you reassemble you need to take care of this.

Make sure it goes in all the way and the two center conductors make good contact.

1 Like

Thake note on how Jeff pic look like

1 Like

It came out when I removed the antenna this morning checking to make sure it was tight - so I put it backā€¦I thought it was odd too. Iā€™m not sure, other than itā€™s not bent, how to keep it from touching the side. But I understand what youā€™re saying

@Johan_Scheepers
got it - there is a little white disk on each side (LPS8 AND THE 915 ANTENNA) - confirmed.

Take note of the locking nut as well, it is there to secure the connector on the gateway side, so it does not come apparat.

No locking nut on this unit. :confused:

I do have 2 of these hanging around - if I could put a small program on one to test connectivity - it might tell me if the gateway antenna or the lds03a antenna is the culprit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781CPHT1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You can also while disconnected, check with a multi-meter for continuity on the antenna, between the center pin and the outer conductor, this should be disconnected ( I doubt it is a issue, as if you did have continuity you would not RX anything)

1 Like

Difficut to tell - need a slight side view on that antenna connection - but looks like if/when you can re-assemble the SMA barrel connector (carefully!) you have a female to female problemā€¦ I take it you bought the ant seperate from the actual GW? (They usually come with a suitable ant - often a rightangled SMA so ant vertical when GW flat) You might also try to source a male to male adapter to connect the two.

Or just set them up as another node, if the behavior is the same then you know. (low RSSI)

Exactly what I was thinkingā€¦ :slight_smile: