MikroTik LoRaWAN gateways and concentrator boards

Mikrotik Wiki entry listing all the settings

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Lora

1 Like

Another supplier listing

EuroDK has a Mikrotik section entry for it, but, no products listed as yet.

https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/mikrotik-lora

LinITX also have the wAP loRa8 on backorder for around December.

Mikrotik have officially listed Lora (though the package was already in the testing branch) support in latest Beta OS release.

1 Like

Mikrotik does not currently have the wAP LoRa8 kit in stock. The estimated time for availability is December 21st.

hi, thanks for this information

We have an office where we currently use a 4g mifi type router as itā€™s difficult to get a phone line in. Iā€™m also running a TTIG there.

Iā€™m wondering how this would fare as a 4g to Ethernet and WiFi router with Lora as a bonus on the side. Any thoughts?

What is the 3rd party card that you are using?

Iā€™m using the N-Fuse card (https://www.n-fuse.co/devices/LoRaWAN-Concentrator-Card-mini-PCIe.html) but the latest version no longer supports the 3rd party card. I had to downgrade back to the 1st beta version that included LoRa support. Iā€™m waiting on the official cards to come out so I can swap that in.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s new in 6.46 (2019-Dec-02 11:16):

MAJOR CHANGES IN v6.46:

!) lora - added support for LoRaWAN low-power wide-area network technology for MIPSBE, MMIPS and ARM;

1 Like

The R11e-LoRa8EU card is shipping now.

Yes, the card has been available this week. The two units ordered from helpful Sonictest in Estonia arrived quickly.

It is possible to assemble the kit from wAP R11e, LoRa8 card, U.fl/SMA female pigtail (and external LoRa antenna).

Yep you can build your own kit so you dont have to wait until Mikrotik ship all components together in the Kit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
My Mikrotik GW just arrived. It is a LtAP Router with the RN11e Lora Card. The GW was easy to setup for TTN and is running fine with LAN connection.

But I am not able to config WiFi to use the GW as a WiFi client, because I want to put the GW on a place without LAN.
As soon as I try to add the WiFi, I cantā€˜t reach the router any more. I must admit, I have no idea about Mikrotik Routers.
Can anybody help me with this?
Martin

2 Likes

So Iā€™m now using an LTAP-LTE providing LTE to WiFi and Ethernet routing and also a LoRa gateway for the office. Fantastic LoRa performance.

Iā€™m getting dropouts on the LTE side - apparently Three prefer dual in demand rather than persistent connections so Iā€™ve switched on the Watchdog functionality to reboot when LTE drops. Also worth upgrading the LTE card firmware (although turn off the watchdog for this).

Note the Lora8 gateway canā€™t do any cellular even though it has sim slots - the mini PCI-e is filled with the LoRa card

I have several mikrotik lora8 cards up and running.

8 pcs in combination with an lte card on a RBM33G board in outdoor cases,
2 pcs in wap R with a wifi or cable backhaul.

and will get my first ltap with lte and lora next week.

all are running stable.

Hi,

Iā€™m trying to experiment with the MikroTik LoRa card to connect to the router.eu.thethings.network but I couldnā€™t connect at all. I registered the gateway under console with the respective details (Europe868MHz, ttn-router-eu), but even if I collect RF data, it seems that the gateway remains offline (see pic).

I attached the lora settings as well if someone has any idea.

[admin@LoRa] /lora> print 
Flags: X - disabled 
 0   name="gateway-2" status="Enabled" hardware-id="32353132xxxxxxxx" 
     gateway-id="323531323xxxxxxxx" servers="" channel-plan=eu-868 antenna-gain=0dB 
     forward=crc-valid,crc-error network=public lbt-enabled=no listen-time=5000us 
     rssi-threshold=-150dBm 

Thank you

First of all, all packets list CRC status error and packets with crc errors should ā€˜rightlyā€™ not be forwarded to TTN.

Next, the servers=ā€œā€ looks suspicious to me, I would expect that value to be non empty.

1 Like

Did you (try to) configure it for only TTN? What does the ā€œServersā€ page in your screenshot show?

Though maybe the verbose logging in your screenshot might be incorrect when itā€™s trying to interpret packets for which the CRC clearly failed (or for LoRa traffic that is not LoRaWAN traffic), a Join Request followed by a Join Accept after 5 seconds nicely fits the expected RX1-timing, so seems to indicate itā€™s communicating to some server?

But the DevAddr in that Join Accept, and the ones in the downlinks, are not TTN addresses (which should start with 0x26 or 0x27). And assuming this is running as a gateway (right?) then it should not hear downlinks transmitted by other gateways. So, seeing logging of downlinks with non-TTN addresses doesnā€™t feel right to me.

Unless you know what youā€™re doing, you should only connect your gateway to a single network.

It seems that the empty server field was the main problem. I set the field servers=ttn while the ttn points to router.eu.thethings.network. All of the packets under traffic appear with CRC Status ā€œErrorā€, however my Console says that it has received a packet as you can see in the following pics.

Do you think that this is a normal behavior ? I expect a couple of LoRa sensors by the end of next week, so for now Iā€™m experimenting with sensors that may listen on the air.

Thanks