Outdated "getting started" tutorial and asking for suggestions

Well, I was following this “getting started” tutorial but I guess it should be a bit outdated because I cannot see that “Messages” view inside the application (the screenshot in “Step 9: Conclusion”)

So … where is this view right now? And … do you know an alternative “getting started” docu similar to this one that could be helpful?

Thank you all guys and nice to meet you.

Hi, i am also looking for an updated tutorial - i cant seem to get data through to the dashboard, amongst the errors on set=up is the following at pretty much the first step

Basic:7:20: error: ‘Serial1’ was not declared in this scope
#define loraSerial Serial1
^
/var/folders/d4/4bd0lls56fn40by_fsrdrh1r0000gn/T/arduino_modified_sketch_731683/Basic.ino:13:22: note: in expansion of macro ‘loraSerial’
TheThingsNetwork ttn(loraSerial, debugSerial, freqPlan);

Any ideas.? Is this real problem ?

That is an error typical of using an Arduino that does not have a Serial1 port.

ok, many thanks – is this a real problem?
Also, I have followed the tutorial, but when it came to mapping the board, it was saying that i should look for ‘Spark Fun Micro’ with a Processor of 'ATmega32U4 (3.3v 8Mhz), but in my Arduino IDE i dont see any of these as a selection, so i just selected Arduino Uno? Is this also a real issue - do i need to work out how to get the proper selection? I am working on a macbook pro… with the thingsnode plugged in via USB

Using a tutorial for one Arduino on a different Arduino will often lead to problems, which is not the fault of the tutorial.

I would start at the beginning and make sure you can load basic programs onto your chosen Arduino.

There is a forum specifically for issues with the Arduino IDE.

ok thanks - yep, that makes sense — since the sketchs arent compiling or uploading, i will start there … thanks…
this is all a learning process for me …