Patching my network together

Hi,

I’m rather new to LoRa, been working on it for the past few weeks for my internship but I just can’t get all the parts to connect to each other.

After a lot of trouble I managed to connect my Raspberry Pi+dragino LoRa+GPS HAT to the things network (was stuck with the decrepit one channel packet forwarder, now using the dual channel one by bokse001).

But my question basically boils down to: How can I send a “hello world” from my Arduino nano+RFM95W chip to my Pi+Dragino which then passes it to the things network? Or am I completely misunderstanding how this should work?

I thank you for your time, hope to get some answers.

That is not a fix and disturbs the use of the LoRaWAN network for others. Please get a LoRaWAN (8 channel) GW not a unit designed for LoRa-LoRa use cases. As a newbie please read the documentation and use Forum search (top right) and you will find a lot of info and guidance…also on similar topic search for payload and hello world - use byte stuffing and simple payloads not ASCII text strings! :slight_smile: Very inefficient wrt spectrum use and time on air etc. (again Search!!!)

Could you explain in what way it disturbs the use of the network for others? (though, I don’t really have the liberty to switch it around, also, it will only run for about an hour once my project is over, but I would still like to know)

I have been searching of course, but it’s a real issue how fragmented all the information is, things get outdated or decrepit in like a year or two since it’s creation.

Basically my project only consists of: Make a working LoRa system, make it send a package, document how I got it to work. which should be easy (it hasn’t been) and won’t be a nuisance for long (my internship is over in 4 weeks)

Do understand that the TTN forum does not want to act as a repository of ‘fixes’ for non TTN compliant devices.

Ok forget for a second the dragino (cause the rfm95W definitely is) isn’t TTN compliant, how would you, with a perfectly TTN compliant network system, send data from a node to the gateway, where do I find the info that I need to put into my arduino code so it can connect with a gateway, cause, and I’m probably using the wrong search terms, I can’t find the answer to that question.

Given your project will not be able to properly integrate with TTN, you should probably look to “bare LoRa” or “LoRa peer-to-peer” type resources. Often these are simpler demos which ship with hardware, or you can use the RadioHead library.

It may ultimately prove simpler if you insert another Arduino on the pi side between the radio and the pi so that you can use the same software approach on both ends of the link. Transmitting from arduino software and receiving in pi software is definitely possible, you’ll just end up having to match all settings (frequency, bandwidth, spreading factor, pre-amble IQ inverstion, coding rate, data formats…) between distinct software projects.

Thanks, this is actually helpful, I will take another look at it next work week.