Wich type of gateways

Hello,

Maybe this is a dumb question: Wich type of gateways can i register at TTN? Only LoraWan Gateways? Or booth, Lora and LoRaWan gateways?

Thanks

There are no LoRa gateways - that would be a LoRa device talking to another LoRa device that happens to have some other connection to the world on it - and that has nothing that can talk to a LoRaWAN Network server.

Therefore you can only register a LoRaWAN gateway.

“LoRa Gateway” is sort of a polite euphemism for an overpriced node radio or two doing a terrible job of impersonating a fraction of a LoRaWAN gateway.

They’re not LoRaWAN gateways, and while it is theoretically possible, most are relatively unlikely to be correctly used as anything else either… mostly they are traps for the unwary buyer.

I prefer “fakeway” or “single channel abomination” a few others say “single channel packet forwarder” which seems to be excessively charitable, as they’re not only single-channel but also single spreading factor.

Yeah, this only allows device to device conection, right? “Gateway” like this

I wasn’t going to mention them, you’ve opened your own Pandora’s box.

Step away from the fakeway - it will make your FiPy hurt and the whole of your city’s LoRaWAN will go off line and puppies will go hungry …

Please don’t share pictures like that again - it makes grown men cry!

Realistically that is not useful for much at all… maybe if you are really lucky there is some half thought through demo, maybe…

If you want to do peer to peer things, simply buy nodes, they’re far cheaper anyway. (You’d probably use RadioHead or similar as your software starting point)

But note that peer-to-peer LoRa is not on topic here.

@lloureiro is experiencing strangeness on another thread with OTAA accepted but his device isn’t hearing the join accept. But oddly, an ABP message doesn’t get through. So he’s probably looking for a gateway he can control.

My gateway its public one from academic institution, not my :slight_smile:

Guessed that - or you have a 70m long house!

1 Like

:sweat_smile: