The new TTN gateway is a very nice device for quick deployment of TTN coverage. As of the design it can only be used indoor and contribution the TTN network coverage will be limited.
This how-to will help to bring the TTN gateway outdoor to rooftops where it can really contribute to the coverage of TTN network!
The purpose of this how-to is to provide a complete recipe for weatherprrofing the the TTN Gateway. On the other hand this how-to can be an inspiration for your own interpretation on how to weatherproof the TTN Gateway.
Althoug we purchase our parts at one webshop it is very well possible to order parts elsewhere and even for lower prices.
With this how-to we gain:
- No changes hardware to the TTN Gateway housing. We will keep the gateway as it is. This means that we will not take the unit apart and install the PCB in a new housing.
- No changes to the hardware design. We will not change the PCB circuit design to allow PoE of different power supplies.
- Keep the ability to install a different antenna than delivered.
- Make the Gateway weather proof so it can survive the harsh environment at the rooftop of a building or in a mast.
- Allow the gateway to be operated over Ethernet while powering it over the network cable with Power over Ethernet (PoE).
- Enable future expansion of the gateway with GPS
With this how-to we loose:
- Connectivity trough WiFi. We will use a metal housing. To keep this feature you have to choose a different housing type.
We will install the TTN Gateway in an outdoor housing.
The antenna will be made available to the outside using a pigtail from the SMA connector on the TTN Gateway in to a N-type femal chassis part.
As of the metal enclosure we use the wifi connectivity will be lost. Therefore we use the ethernet connection.
The power supply of the TTN Gateway requires a voltage between 7 and 24 volt. This makes the TTN Gateway very well suitable for usage with Power over Ethernet (PoE). In this how-to we will use a passive splitter that will output 12 V, 2 A. The PoE injector will use 48 V and allows to install this power supply indoors.
Bill of materials (BOM)
Attention: Aerial.Net only sell pig-tails REVERSE-POLARITY-SMA to N-FEMALE !! Therefore this BOM specifies a 2-stage jumper from N-Female to SMA (EZ-RPSMAP2SMARAM25 and EZ-RPSMAB2NB25).
This combination can be replaced by any other pig-tail that directly goes from N-Female-Bulk to SMA-Male. (See below)
The following items shall be ordered:
nr Item Catalog name Price
1 x Outdoor Enclosure, 1 Ethernet, 4 N-type holes EZ-SOE01W 18,90€ 18,90 €
1 x RP-SMA Plug to SMA Right Angle 25cm EZ-RPSMAP2SMARAM25 3,09 €
1 x RP-SMA Bulkhead to N-Type Bulkhead 25cm EZ-RPSMAB2NB25 4,71 €
1 x 15v-48v In - 12V/2A Out Passive PoE Splitter - cat5 Z-CH-102 3,09 €
1 x UBNT POE-24-24W(EU), PoE Injector, 24V 24W, EU POE-24-24W 11,03 €
Sub-Total: 40,82 €
DHL Express (Shipping to Netherlands: 2.70 Kg(s) UnInsured): 21,79 €
BG VAT 20%: 12,52 €
Total: 75,14 €
Additional we need:
2 x Screw Parker 3.9 x 13 mm or equivilent
1 x silica gel pouch
Now we wait for delivery.
The following tools are needed:
battery drill machine
4 mm drill for metal
2 mm drill
If you do not want to have a combination of pigtails of the proposed shopping list and you are accepting two orders with different delivery times you can replace EZ-RPSMAP2SMARAM25 and EZ-RPSMAB2NB25 for this pigtail:
The internal mounting plate will be used to mount the TTN Gateway on to. We will not drill holes in to the gateway but we will modify the sucktion pads in to distance holders.
- Remove the sucktion pads from the TTN Gateway
- Drill 2 mm holes in to the sucktion pads.
- Place the sucktion pads back on the gateway.
Sucktion pads with holes drilled
The mounting plate needs two holes drilled to screw the gateway on using the sucktion pads. The following figure shows the dimensions and the measured locations of the holes.
- Measure the locations
- Drill the holes of 4 mm diameter.
Locations of the drilled holes.
Mount the gateway on the mounting plate. see the images for how to position them.
Now we will install the cables and connect them to the gateway.
- Remove the white cover of the gateway.
- Install the coax pigtail with N-connector in the fitting hole of the housing.
- Install the RJ45 connector in the fitting hole of the housing.
- Connect the SMA connector of the coax pigtail to the antenna connector or the gateway,
- Install the PoE splitter and connect the ethernet cable.
- Connect the power conmnector of the PoE splitter to the power connector of the gateway.
- Connect the network cable of the PoE splitter to the ethernet connector of the gateway.
- place th white cover back on the gateway,
Connected wiring in the gateway housing without the white coverplate.
Final installtion result.
Now it is time to test the gateway. Connect the PoE injector to the Ethernet cable of the housing and apply power. The Ethernet cable of the PoE injector shall be connected to the internet.
When the test is successful the housing can be closed.
- Add the silica gel pouch to the housing.
- Mount the second half of the housing using the screws.
Finished gateway. ready to be installed outdoor.