Essen, Germany

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to build a new TTN community in Essen, Germany. As I have seen there are already communities in Recklinghausen and Dortmund, but I really want to get this off the ground in Essen. :slight_smile:

Maybe there is somebody else out there who wants to do the same? :wink: I live in the north-west of the system, close to Bottrop and Oberhausen.

Best regards
Marco

Hi everyone,

in the meantime I initiated a TTN community and set up a twitter account. You can find it here: TTN Essen Twitteraccount

Hi,

we should make an access point in Essen possible.

The costs seems to be 400 EUR. Hopefully we find some contributors.

Regards
Holger

I agree :sunglasses:

let’s help ESSEN to get started https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/essen/

I’m thinking about setting up my own gateway at my appartment, but since it’s not located on a exponated position I guess the range would be limited. But if we find somebody who has access to a more exposed location (like a rooftop or a house on a hill etc.) I’d be willing to contribute some effort and money as well.

@Don-Hege,

Nice to see TTN getting off the ground in Essen :slight_smile:

I would be more than happy to provide some space to setup an access point. I have access to a roof top on the 5th floor in the northern city of Essen. It is part of a coworking space (panorama-coworking.de) so we most likely don’t need to worry about LAN access.

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@xLarry @Capsicum

Hi,
thanks for joining!

The location you mentioned seems to be quite nice, because it’s close to the city center and having it on the rooftop is another plus.

Are you already in contact with somebody there to check if it would be possible to mount a GW on the roof?

Appart from that, I posted a blog article on the TTN Essen page asking if anybody is interested in workshops like building your own gateway or building your own sensors.

@Don-Hege

I just requested an approval from the owner. The only concern he raised was whether the coworking network would then be somehow open to the public?

I haven’t made any experiences with gateways yet so I couldn’t answer this question directly. Do you know how the gateway will be separated from the other parts of the network?

@xLarry

It’s not open to the public, only the gateway has access to it. Every package sent via LoRaWAN is just forwarded to the TTN. So unlike a wireless LAN there’s no access “over the air” to the local network.

But if the owner of the networks insists on it, you could put the gateway into a different VLAN. That way, even the GW would be seperated from the rest of the network.

You can find more information on that in the Wiki.

@Don-Hege, thanks for clarification. We might consider to configure a separate VLAN, that’s a good idea.

I’ll send you my contact details in a private message so we can discuss the next steps in person :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

as I already wrote on the community page, I’d like to organize a meeting in-person (and repeat it regularly if possible :wink: ).

Anyone interested in that?

Hi, I’m interested in TTN too. Did some Arduino stuff in the last years and just ordered a Draguino-Shield. Wondering if I’ll have access to a gateway… Would also be happy to set up a gateway. Living in the southern part a bit up the hill. Right now just overwhelmed by the vast number of different options…

Hi,
think you also contacted @TTNEssen through Twitter, right?

For outdoor use, I would recommend this gateway: Lorix One It is not cheap, but I think it’s pretty solid and easy to use.
For indoor use, I am currently using the Laird Sentrius RG1xx and I’m quite happy with it.

For DIY gateways, there’s the RAK831 and the IC880.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, how much effort you want to put into it and where you want to place the gateway in the end. But anyways, welcome to the TTN community! :wave:

Hi Don-Hedge, Thank you very much. I’ll start now with a Raspberry Pi and the IC880. Both is ordered and hopefully next week there’ll be an additional gateway live in the south of Essen. Plan is then to bring it outside sooner or later and connect it via PoE.

That’s fantastic!

Also, we might start to think about a TTN meetup in Essen sooner or later. :wink:

Wenn Oberhausener auch willkommen sind, könnte ich ggf. die Location stellen :wink:

OK, a new TTN gateway has just opened in the south of Essen (eui-b827ebfffe0fdebf). Still inside but with the plan to bring it outside. Now starting to fizzle around with the best way to get/display the data captured (temperature, humidity at the beginning).

Je mehr desto besser. :wink: So eine richtig fest etablierte TTN-Community scheint es ja im Ruhrgebiet eh noch nicht zu geben.

Hallo, passt das Thema denn nicht eigentlich perfekt zum Unperfekthaus? Das wäre zum einen eine gute Location für ein Gateway (direkt neben dem Limbecker Platz), zum anderen kann man sich dort treffen, zum dritten gibt es dort doch auch immer wieder Linux-Stammtische, Repair-Workshops etc.?

Hallo,

ja, das wäre auch mein erster Vorschlag für den Ort gewesen. Passt “thematisch” ganz gut zu TTN, ist gut zu erreichen und “skaliert” auch ganz gut von zwei bis 100 Teilnehmern.