Join The Things Summer Academy - August 16 to 20

Do you have indication from RAK & Arduino by destination territory of when last order date would be to guarantee users will have units in time for the workshops (inc shipping/customs clearance times…)

I can foresee tears by bedtime for those around the world leaving until last minute! :wink:

1 Like

Good question. Will check!

Just checked, the Arduino MKR Env shield is sold out.

@Grantep Make sure to use the link I posted above. They should still be available

Thanks. The link Arduino MKR ENV Shield rev2 is being redirected to https://store.arduino.cc/usa/mkr-env-shield-r2.

I will try using a VPN.

I was able to purchase the last shield from The Pi Hut. I should be fine. Thanks.

Really looking forward to the course.

Hi Laurens,

It needs to be this exactly gateway or one sx1301 pi4 based like IMST should be ok ?

@Faunaphotonics the workshop is designed for the RAK gateway. You can follow along with part of the workshop, but the firmware to manage the RAK gateway card might be different than the one you use.

For people joining The Things Summer Academy, make sure to also join the Slack Group for daily updates & chitchat.

To access Slack:

1. Log in to your The Things Network account
  2. Request access to The Things Network Slack via your account page
  3. Join the channel #the-things-summer-academy

How do we login?

Login in Slack?

If you create an account on Slack then you can use the link above to access the TTN area.

Your login is for Slack and then you subscribe to different discussion groups.

Hi, I’ve been sitting on one of the original Kickstarter Gateways (with 2 Things Uno boards). All this stuff is still unboxed, life just gets in the way, y’know?

Anyhow this seems like a good time to dive in with some hand holding.

My question is simple, is one of the original TTN kickstarter gateways a suitable device with which to follow along? I also have doubts about V2 to V3 upgrading too, I have always followed along with what is happening TTN-wise, but never had time to participate.
Cheers. Paul.

Cautionary note to all!

Received my Arduino kit for the session a couple of days ago and noticed that unlike most other such retail packed modules I’ve received from other vendors (e.g. RAK811Sensor/Tracker, 813, 815, 5205 etc. Heltec WiFi Lora V1 & V2’s etc.) There is NO small antenna/pigtail included - not even a small helical or patch ant…nor is there any warning out of the box to the effect that you should not power up/run LoRa kit without 1st attaching an antenna!

If you didnt order one for the session raid your spares box, cannibalise another unit/system… or get a rapid order into you favourite choice of disty to get a suitable ant delivered in time before you trash your kit! :slight_smile: :scream:

To make my question clearer, will my owning an original TT Kickstarter Gateway enable me to participate in the 2021 TTN Summer Academy?

The gateway module will show the setup of a RAK gateway HAT for a Raspberry Pi using the Balena.io system. You could skip the presentation and setup your gateway using the v3 docs at that point, or do it now and skip the presentation or do it now & watch the presentation for any generic gateway information &/or to learn about a different gateway setup.

The course material has been constructed around the kit list supplied so you will be reliant on best endeavours & the good will of others to help you if you come up against any particularly tricky issues.

There are other participants on the Slack channel that have said they have other gateways they are going to use and others who have alternative device hardware, some both.

The course has something of a story arc to it as you’ll see on the schedule - basics & important concepts Mon AM, gateway PM, device building Tues, getting the data out Wed. If you get your gateway functional on Mon PM, you’re good to go with the device workshops on Tuesday.

Thanks for your explanation.

I understand now. I am confident I can get my gateway up and running with all of the articles and forum posts I have noted over the past (it really is a gold mine of information) plus I have some rf experience, and am a programmer at heart. I’m just not sure I will get round to it by monday pm. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

A post was split to a new topic: Previous Conference Videos

A couple of links/pre-requisits that may be useful - Balena firmware etc for BasicStation:

Any latecomers or stragglers looking to catch up on the activities of TTSA or folk looking to repeat some of the (node) work should be aware that the MKRWAN Env Shield used has now been declared obsolete by Arduino, no obvious substitute with only available stocks remaining by the looks of things. Anyone looking to adapt to use in other projects should be aware also.

Part Affected
Manufacturer ARDUINO - BCMI US LLC
Description ARDUINO MKR ENVIRONMENTAL SHIELD
Manufacturer Part Number ASX00011
Digi-Key Part Number 1050-1168-ND
Status Obsolete
Substitutes Please click here