The Things Gateway
Following a successful Kickstarter our own LoRa Gateway is now available world-wide. At a price of just under €300 and its easy, web-based setup, it is the best choice to help build The Things Network. Order The Things Gateway here
The Things Gateway enables devices such as sensors and embedded computers to connect to the internet. With an easy to connect process, you are creating the most substantial aspect of your IoT data network. Activate the gateway in just 5 minutes and create your own local network. With the capacity to serve thousands of nodes, the gateway is the main building block of your connected network. This version operates at 868MHz for use in the EU and 915Mhz for use in US.
- Fastest way to get started with LoRaWAN (Long Range WAN)
- Set up your own LoRaWAN network in as little as 5 minutes
- Connects easily to your WiFi or Ethernet connection
- Wireless range of up to 10 km (6 miles)
- Engage with a global community of IoT developers
- Easy cloud integration with popular IoT platforms
- Based on open source hardware and software standards
- Devices can freely communicate over all gateways connected to The Things Network
- XBEE slot for future connectivity protocols or homebrew add-ons.
- Security through the https connection and embedded in the LoRaWAN protocol
- Can serve thousands of nodes (depending on traffic)
Order your The Things Gateway
You can place an order through our partner network to get next day delivery. At the moment this method of delivery is only available in Europe and in the US. Order your gateway here.
Activate your gateway in 5 min
The Things Gateway is quite an easy device to get started with. Upon receiving the box, instructions for activating the gateway will be printed on the cover itself.
On opening the box, you will find the gateway unit along with an antenna and a power cable. Make sure the antenna is connected to the gateway before powering it on as it may damage it otherwise. Once the antenna is connected, connect the gateway to the power source. There are two ways of activating the gateway - *(a) Ethernet, (b) WiFi
Activating the Gateway
Activating the Gateway
- Goto the activation page where you will be asked to log in with your The Things Network account. In case you don’t have an account you can register first and then get back to this same page to continue with the activation process.
- The next step is where you enter your gateway id and select the frequency plan which the gateway will use. Please note that once you enter the gateway id, you would not be able to change it. Based on which region you live in, select the frequency plan and move to the next step. Keep in mind that the 868Mhz model of the gateway would not be compatible with the Asia 923 or US 915 Mhz plan and vice versa.
- Moving further, we will be connecting to the WiFi access point of the gateway. To do this, select the WiFi point named ‘Things Gateway - xxxx’ from your device and connect to it. The password for this access point is ‘thethings’. Once you are connected to the gateway’s wifi, the ‘continue’ button will turn blue and you can click on it to move to the next step.
- This is where you can select how you want your gateway to be connected to the internet. In case you select WiFi, enter the SSID of the network in the fields below followed by the security mode and password and click on ‘Configure Gateway’. For those who want to connect it over Ethernet and select that option and click on the next option.
- This will send the settings to the gateway and in the next few moments you will see the page with the status of the gateway. It takes from 30 seconds to 2 mins to get the configuration settings in place. The activation page will indicate what the LED’s lights on the gateway indicate.
- Your browser will refresh the page to switch back to your WiFi connection and if everything done correctly you will see the first message being sent through your gateway.
Once the gateway is configured you can manage the rest of the settings through the console and add other details such as location, altitude etc.
There is a button inside the gateway. To open it, put it down with the antenna socket at the top and (gently) lift the left and right sides of the white shield. (To close align the lid and push firmly at the sides only you hear it snap in place)
To reset, power on while pressing the ‘Mode button’ shown in the picture above (it is the pink one in the middle of the PCB). All leds should flash for some time.]