Recommended Gateway Alternatives to the Things Gateway - €300 - €900

Hi. We’ve not tested yet, but I also believe the TekTelic outdoor gateway is going to be a cost effective gateway solution for your requirements.

Link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tektelic+gateway&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB766GB766&oq=tektelic&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j35i39j0l3.2559j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

seems that they are not for sale at this moment

My experience is that TekTelic have received a lot of enquiries for their solutions and are playing ‘catch-up’ on the orders.

If you contact them directly, the team can give you an update and costs.

I’ve seen some informal test results for their indoor LoRaWAN gateway and it’s performed better than the Multitech gateways. Unlike other devices, this isn’t built on a Linux platform. It’s all in the chipset, which means - other than a small configuration file - it’s plug and play. This may or may not be a good idea for your solution.

Regarding availability: In fairness, with the exception of MultiTech and Kerlink, several gateway companies we work with are struggling to fill orders. The easily configurable Laird Sentrius is on backorder with delays of up to 8 weeks here in the UK.

spam ? :rofl:

1 Like

Spam? No no. :slight_smile: I’m not associated with Tektelic, but I know that whilst they don’t have website pricing/availability for some models, that other people have been able to order from them directly via email and invoices.

2 Likes

ok :sunglasses:

nice products with a special TTN member discount can always be placed HERE

IMST reduced the price of the LoRa concentrator iC880A to 119€. Does it make sense to buy a iC880A + RPi or ready-to-use gateway like MatchX, RG1xx…?
As far as I know the iC880A is well documented:

Happy hollidays to all!
I have used WRT54GL for many years!! very reliable + flexible (with DDwrt) for Mesh wifi network etc!
we still use them+ they were working in temperatures (ambient of 40C+) (Most probably temperature was going to more than 50 in the box…)

In any case. Internesting to see the maybe a wrt54Gl can be used… However prices have gone down now and you can have a gateway for less than 150 euros…

I think its not difficult to connect a chip and have this as a gateway. … Any suggestions what to do with the WRT54GL and WAP54GL i still have (more than 10 units!)

GG

you misinterpreted this posting.

it shows that you can put non outdoor equipment in an ip67 enclosure to protect it, has nothing todo with lorawan but gives you an idea (for example with the TTN gateway)

as you stated that its ’ not difficult to connect a chip and have this as a gateway ’ I want to ask you then… how ?
pls describe hardware and software modification of that router.

maybe i misintrepreted! but WRTGL (runs linux) been modified to do many things. You can install OPENWRT etc and also run your own scripts that can monitor SERIAL ports.

This board has serial port https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt54g and since RAK831 is also based on OPENWRT i thing its feasible (eventhough time consuming) However time is money and as you said in a previous post multichannel gateways can be bought for less than EU 150 nowdays… ITs just an idea… thats all

So now that the TTN gateway is here. Can someone tell me which particular aspects one should look at to determine which gateway to buy? – I expect to hear why the TTN gateway is definitely the best thing under €300…
(asking as we have one sentrus and looking for sponsoring more gateways in the region and so want to buy the right thing!)

1 Like

Hi sslupsky, how is your Laird gateway working after a few month of operation? I am thinking of using a couple for a project in California. Best, Reinier

What do you mean by that?

1 Like

Vinduino, I put a Laird Sentrius on an 80’ tower last summer. It has been through a half dozen power outages and it has always rebooted and started working on it’s own. It just works.

Thanks jimrm, appreciate the feedback. I talked to the Laird guys at the Things Conference. Indeed looked easy to setup and manage. Just ordered one.

Presumably, this was an ‘indoors’ setup?
We’ve got half a dozen or so Laird gateways for various poc’s but they don’t seem particularly sturdy for a permanent deployment.
Not terribly impressed by the quality of the build.

Shiv, if your response was to my post, the Laird is in a NEMA 4 (ip67) enclosure on the tower. Painted it white to help keep the heat down in the summer.

@jimrm Ah right! Do you have some pictures?
Laird have released the ip67 variant @ ~ 3x the price.

Also, are you using the aerial that came with the gateway?

Shiv, I don’t have any pictures of the box, but it is about 12" x 12" x 8" and made of steel Hoffman brand. Am using the stock antenna on about 12" of coax. As soon as the weather warms up some I plan to make a new vertical dipole. I now have a VNA to tune with. So far my farthest node is about 1/2 mile away. By using a Laird Gateway and your own purchased box an outdoor Gateway can be made much cheaper than an off the shelf setup.

1 Like

small review of the $150 Tektelic Pico here: